Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Today We Are Responsible Parents

Today, Michael and I were responsible parents. We purchased life insurance!

For whatever reason, this task seemed beyond obnoxious to me. It's that perfect combination of thinking about your own mortality (and that of your beloved spouse), of spending a lot of money on something you hope to never need, of seeing how little your life is "worth," and of working through brokers who want to sell you more than you need. What made this task a little more... tedious for me was the way in which our MetLife agent treated me. In very small ways, he acted like I was the weaker, less intelligent spouse. While we filled out paperwork this morning, he deferred all financial questions to Michael and assumed I wasn't working. He was kind, but very old fashioned, I guess.

Anyway, this was one of those things I really dreaded doing, but feel proud of us for getting done. We're insured!!

No comments: