Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grown Up

In the six years since I moved to New York, I have lived in two apartments furnished with dining room tables. I lived in these apartments for a combined total of seven months. For the rest of the time, I have had to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in my lap. If you think about it, tables (for all their conveniences) require serious amounts of space. And so most of us living in tiny apartments forgo this luxury.

In our last apartment, once our dear friend Nicky graciously handed down his coffee table to us, we managed to eat hovering somewhere between the couch and the coffee table. This required a hunched posture, and almost inevitably lead to eating quickly and, well, heartburn. Michael and I grew to really hate this about our apartment - that we simply had no room for a place to eat like humans.

Now we do! On Saturday, Ikea delivered our brand new dining room table (and four chairs to boot!). Michael and I enjoyed our first meal around our table tonight, and it was heavenly. This feels like progress...

No comments: