Thursday, January 7, 2010

Book It 2009!

So I know I'm behind on this, but Melissa made it okay for me to post this list in 2010 here.

Michael had an amazing year with books, as he described here. But I must say, I didn't. I read a lot of bad books (the worst of the worst: "And Then We Came to the End" and "Him Her Him Again The End of Him"). That said, there were definitely some highlights. Barbara Kingsolver defined my literary year. I read three of her books this year; two of the three made it to my top 5. "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" inspired me through the end of winter this past year, encouraging me to eat locally, grow my own food (which I actually did this summer), and to move to a farm in the mountains of Virginia. I think it will be one of the best books I've ever read, simply for the way it inspired me. And I'm currently reading The Lacuna (Kingsolver's most recent) and loving it!

So my top 5 from 2009:
5. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
4.
Beautiful Children by Charles Bock
3. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
2. American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
1. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

The Taylor Three said...

I read 2 of your 5 and I loved prodigal summer, but was not a fan of Olive Kitteridge...just seemed so depressing to me, but looking back, it was a quick and fast read which means I must have enjoyed it enough to read through it so fast! ;)