Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Should vs. Will

Right now, I should be baking some cookies. Or making some dinner. Or cleaning a counter top or two. Or writing some emails I owe. Or calling some friends whom I miss. Or walking on a treadmill to get that heart rate up.

And instead I'm sitting quietly. I am about to turn my brain off in front of the TV and await my husband's return home. I am not going to get to any of these chores tonight.

Lately, I think both Michael & I have been feeling a little Manhattan Malaise. We haven't left the city in quite some time, and have no definite plans to do so in the near future. We just went through one period of serious change and are preparing for yet another. I'm about to celebrate two years at my current job, one I love tremendously but sometimes get tired of. I told Michael yesterday that we need to go do something fun - go away for the weekend, or run off to see a movie on a random weeknight (daring, isn't it?), or just spice up the routine somehow.

And yet much of this malaise is from not having our routines. We still don't have our patterns set for taking walks and enjoying the neighborhood and doing all those fun things that we had settled on in our old neighborhood. We're still in transition, but a quieter form of it.

No comments: