Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wait Wait!

One of my favorite Friday activities is listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," the NPR news quiz, on my walk home from work. It's an uplifting bit of radio, generally pretty funny - especially when Paula Poundstone is on.

One of the show's best episodes included an interview with Mavis Staples. The first time it aired, I was on a bus with Michael, traveling from DC to New York. She was utterly captivating. She spoke casually about relationships with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bob Dylan. Her voice, deep, husky and perfect for the gospel music she's known for, transported me off the bus and into a place full of hope. I remember looking at me as I listened to the podcast, laughing at how much I enjoyed NPR. But that interview, to me, defines oral history.

Last week, they re-aired the 17-minute interview with Ms. Staples, and let me tell you, it's worth a listen. Here's the link. Enjoy!

No comments: