Sunday, June 21, 2009

Restlessness

I took a walk in the rain today. Sometimes that just can't be helped. The clouds rolled in quickly this evening, starting north over the Bronx and coming down through the City. Or so it seemed from the street. The threat came while I was already walking around in our neighborhood, and when the rain finally began, it felt like a great release. And then the sunshine fought its way out, showing off a slow sliver of what summer could be. Despite the cool chill that the rain brought on, I walked by the water and felt soothed by the rough tides in the Hudson River.

Lately I've been feeling restless. Perhaps most of us have, given the weather we're facing this June. But today that urge was almost overwhelming.

My forth year in college, when I started to feel like Charlottesville was just a little too small, I would get in my car and drive. Aimless. I would hop on 64 West, and go for an hour or two. Just feeling the road under me and the freedom of going for as long as I could stand it would help calm me down. It would help quiet my restlessness.

I haven't yet learned how to regain my sense of calm in the City when the impulsive need to leave hits me. Obviously, the best option is to hop on a bus, in a plane, on a train and go off on our own adventure. But that seems to be harder and harder to do.

In any event, I know seeing the sun would help quiet this urge. Maybe tomorrow?

No comments: