Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Asparagus

Since late April, our Saturday mornings have been marked by growing excitement. Saturdays are our trips to the farmers market, and as summer approaches, the days of just buying yogurt and pasta dwindle. We've been waiting for the start of this year's growing season, when our bags overflow with leafy veggies and melt-in-your-mouth fruit. In mid-winter, I didn't really believe Michael and I had been eating very locally. But now as tomatoes, sweet corn, and Jersey peaches are on the horizon, I realize we did better this year than in previous winters, because it's been months since those items entered our home.

The veggie that I couldn't wait to see? Asparagus!! I remember last year that asparagus (and rhubarb too) began cropping up at the market in mid-May. They marked the return of delicious veggies to the market. So each week, I've been eager for their arrival.

And then, two weeks ago, they appeared!! Our weekly take home is growing - spinach, sugar snap peas, yogurt, mushrooms, onions, pasta and FINALLY asparagus were last weeks items.

Now I can't wait for the tomatoes!

1 comment:

Henry said...

jersey peaches sound terrible! But I guess anything grown in jersey sounds bad.....you'd think it was all manufactured in a lab along the jersey turnpike!