Thursday, June 18, 2009

Resumes

Okay, I'm going to sound crazy. Or like an old, cranky person. But who is teaching people how to make resumes these days?!??! In the past few months, I've reviewed many resumes at work and I've been shocked by what I've seen.

Inspired by an NPR piece from this morning, I've decided to put together a list of my recommendations:
  1. Unless you are applying to be a professor, your resume should be ONE PAGE. Learn how to edit!

  2. A job should only be listed only once, not twice or three times under different headings. It looks like you're trying to cover up a lack of experience.

  3. Your email address should be professional. Out of courtesy I will refrain from sharing the absurd addresses I've seen, but come on people! This isn't hard.

  4. Your resume should be in PDF form.

  5. Your entire resume should be ordered from most recent to least recent. Or at least it should be in the same order across sections.
And I could keep going. But that would make me crazy.

Sorry for the rant! I guess I've spent too much time in the office as of late...

1 comment:

Jessie said...

6. Use spell check

7. Don't inflate your experience -- be honest