Sunday, June 28, 2009

Joint Effort

Today, Michael had to work. Because I love him, I went too!

I met Michael at 30 Rock; he rushed up to the office after our weight training class, while I stayed behind for yoga and errand-running. By the time I made it uptown, he had already logged in an impressive 4 hours. We were both happy to leave the neighborhood today, because the Gay Pride Parade ends about 2 blocks from our apartment. Though a worthy cause indeed, the Parade turns our neighborhood upside down, and seriously limits our mobility. Streets to our north and east are blocked off and police baracades keep us close.

So, when Michael received word that he needed to come in today, I happily tagged along. When I was growing up, I would occasionally do the same thing with my mom. We would both pack our bags, me with coloring books and homework and she with typical
professional needs - including a leatherbound organizer that never left her side. I can't imagine what a pain it must have been for my mom (and, for that matter, Michael), dragging me into the office on a weekend. But I enjoy these little glimpses into my loved ones' professional lives. When they tell stories about their work days, I can actually see the events playing out, all in their office contexts. And I feel like I leave a little mark in these spaces too.

In any event, these trips give me what I love most - time with my family.

No comments: