Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Work Week

This week was a successful, and exhausting, one at work. It began with an intern & new staff orientation and fiscal year fiesta and ended with a brief glimpse of the new commissioner and time working through the logistics of a spend down. Friday's workday ended at 7, but the whole week was worth the effort. My amazing bosses were very grateful for the efforts I put forth - always a rewarding and gratifying experience. And the highlight came when one of my bosses called me, "the backbone of our office."

While I do find myself exhausted with the rhythms of working, I'm so grateful to be where I am now. We're doing important work - making fruits and veggies cheaper and easier to buy, improving school and daycare environments so kids eat better and move more, and increasing the accessibility of aerobics and physical activity. And I work with such an outstanding group of people. Truly, I am constantly inspired by them. I've been in the workforce long enough to know what a unique experience this is, and I hope to savor it as long as possible.

One of the projects I'm working on right now would expand free fitness classes at schools in low income neighborhoods. It's an exciting prospect, and has the potential to both increase fitness levels and provide some income to working women. We'll see how far this goes, but just being a part of a team willing to think about new initiatives is a thrill.

Here are some pictures from our fiscal year fiesta!

Rhonda, Landon and Jalene
Christina, Jenny and Jalene
Our Summer Interns
Rhonda, Liz and Cathy
Rachel, Kristin, Gabrielle, Alyson, Donya and Karyn

No comments: