Thursday, November 6, 2008

Even Here

One of the greatest tricks to surviving in the City is uncovering enough nature to keep you sane.

Because its the City, we don't fall asleep to crickets chirping or chase lightening bugs during those long summer nights. We don't spend our Saturdays mowing lawns or raking leaves. We don't grill in backyards or grow our own vegetables (much to my chagrin). And we don't spend the winter walking around on frozen, icy earth.

These are things I miss.

But one of the greatest gifts the City provides is the ability to appreciate even the tiniest symbols of nature - green grass, wildflowers, cicadas, earthworms.

This tree is along my route to work. I'm separated from it by a fairly busy 3-lane road. But it makes me smile every morning, nonetheless. It's fall, leaves are changing, and I'm happy to catch a glimpse of it.

No comments: