Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tensions

Okay, so I'll admit it. I spoil her. Alice is almost 1, and she still wakes up in the middle of the night. She wakes up to nurse, to cuddle, to be held by mamma. It's quiet, peaceful time with my daughter, and given how hectic our days are, I've clung to this precious time with her just as much as she has.

And yet now, as her first birthday approaches, I realize that it is time to make a change. She needs to be able to sleep through the night, and I need to be able to enjoy some deep sleep for the first time in a year. But I have to admit to feeling very torn about ending our nighttime reunions. When I spend a grand total of 3 hours a day with her during the work week (on a good day), what's the harm in holding on to our ritual? What's the problem (other than my near constant exhaustion) with spending the 3:30 - 4 am timeframe with her?

Advice? Thoughts?

1 comment:

SMS said...

Well here are my two sense. I have a feeling I will have more trouble with letting go of these sorts of moments when I only have one to cuddle and love on... I can totally sympathize. That is why my girls still have their pacies and I have very vague and sketchy plans to have them give them up. If it were me I would go ahead and take the plunge.. only because it would make for a more rested you and a more rested Alice... and in the long run it will benefit you both... and m too of course. I am betting you will find some other cuddle opportunities.. still.. no judgment in the least if you decide to hang onto these moments.. as they do not last forever. I have just found that the earlier you make such transitions the easier and better they end up being...