Saturday, April 11, 2009

Lent

This year, the first in many, I didn't do anything to mark Lent. I didn't give up; I didn't take on. The season, somehow, just passed me by.

And as Easter arrives, I realize how sad I am that I let this happen. In years passed, I've given up computers after 8 PM, sweets, drinks. I've taken on more regular church attendance and more thoughtful prayer. This year, I let the craziness of life - an expression that I both detest and feel - sweep me up and get me through. Lent is a period of the year that I love, a season I look forward to in the depths of winter. And I'm sorry to have missed out on its thought-provoking, sacrificial experience.

The Times had two very engaging pieces on Lent, one here by Judith Warner and one here by James Carroll. Also, Brian Lehrer had a call-in on NPR asking Jews to answer, "What's the fifth Passover question for 2009?" and Christians, "What did you give up for Lent?" An interesting assortment of answers are listed here.

No comments: