Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Distance

Last weekend, I went to the gym with my brother. We worked out side-by-side, occasionally chatting and encouraging one another to sprint, run and just generally keep up. The whole outing was really fun – a nice way to spend a Saturday morning with my brother.

These are the kinds of daily events that Michael and I would like to share regularly with our siblings. We’d love to be able to invite them over for dinner once a week, go grocery shopping together on occasion, run in some sort of park together or maybe compete in some races. We’d love to be able to enjoy them in our daily lives.

Unfortunately, Kelsey is in South Carolina, Henry is in Arlington, and we are in New York. When I think too long about this – about the distance that separates us from our families – I start to question why we live where we do. Michael and I are city dwellers; we love living in New York. But we are not happy about having our lives so separate from our families.

Hmmm… Food for thought, I suppose.

2 comments:

Henry said...

clearly there is only one solution.....I need to move to New York!

The Taylor Three said...

I can tell you....it gets harder when kids are involved. :(