Thursday, March 18, 2010

This Glorious Day

Yesterday was utterly exhausting. For details, read here.

Today, in an effort to listen to my bosses, I decided to work from home in the morning and then take the afternoon for myself. The morning was lovely and leisurely - I did laundry, taking the stairs each and every time, and cleaned out my inbox at work (down to just 50 messages!).

Just a little past noon, I slowly made my way downtown for a nice, easy doctor's appointment. Relieved when it finished, I set about to enjoy the day. I got my hair cut, picked up a new teapot so that we'll be able to make more than 1 cup at a time when my mom and brother are visiting, treated myself to a PinkBerry, and strolled through stationary stores in search of beautiful new cards. I soaked up every last bit of sunshine and warmth, knowing that this brief glimpse of spring will likely disappear in just a few days.

Throughout the day, I thought a lot about the way strangers treat me right now. Sometimes it was annoying - while at the beauty salon, a random woman put her hands on my belly without even looking at me, for example. But overall so many people are insanely wonderful. They tell me I look great, they ask God to bless this baby, they give me a large rather than my requested medium at PinkBerry. I feel so welcomed into a New York community I didn't even know existed. And I know I will miss it. Perhaps carrying a little girl around our fair City will open the door to yet another unknown and equally kind world...

I do have to share one more pretty funny event today. On the train, I sat next to a young man who could not keep his eyes open. He kept falling asleep and then startling himself awake as he fell. Every time his eyes closed, his head would fall almost to my shoulder and then he would jerk himself awake. It was hilarious!

No comments: