Monday, March 8, 2010

The 37-Week Melt Down

Well, it finally happened. I had my hormone-induced (please, Lord, let that have been hormone-induced) pregnancy melt down. Yesterday, while walking around and making my way through our typical Sunday routine, I heard from many a stranger about what I can and can't do because I'm pregnant, about how pregnant I really look, about how much labor is going to hurt, about how my life will change when the baby arrives. At the farmers market, when the seven millionth woman looked at me, asked me when I'm due, pointed to her loud, obnoxious kids and said, "Good luck. It's crazy," my flip switched. I came home, laid down on our bed, and started crying. Hysterically crying. Ugly, gasping-for-air crying.

Michael immediately came to my side to start comforting me, and in about three minutes we were both laughing at how ridiculous these tears were (okay, maybe closer to five minutes...). Our lives are certainly about to be upended, but as Michael keeps reminding me, it will be fun! And we'll have a little one to share the insanity with!

I feel insanely big now, and pretty uncomfortable. I'm ready for this little girl to come on out and meet the world. She's officially full-term, which is thrilling. Of course, our doctors office doesn't induce until you are 42-weeks along, which is still FIVE weeks away. That is utterly terrifying. But I'm hoping she decides to join us sooner, rather than later, now that she's done baking and is focused on getting big.

So here's me at 37-weeks:

And, when I finally dried my eyes and calmed down yesterday, I realized Michael was making headway on the baby's room! He washed all our baby supplies, so they are ready to cloth and comfort our girl. And he got our crib all set up to look like this:


It doesn't get much cuter!

4 comments:

Jessie said...

L, this baby will enrich your lives in ways you cannot imagine. Yes, it is sometimes complicated and often hard, but the rewards are magnificent!

SMS said...

A) You look amazing B) it does NOT get much cuter than that and C) tell those nosy annoying strangers where to shove it! Anyone who can only focus on the negative aspects of raising children is certainly not worth even stopping to listen to. You are going to be an incredible mama and when she finally makes her debut.. you are not going to be able to remember what life was like before her.. it really is such a beautiful ride.
Now a glimpse into a twin pregnancy melt down: I had mine at about 34 weeks (measuring 43 weeks pregnant or something crazy like that). I was so big that I couldn't find anything to wear to this stupid brunch thing that we were supposed to go to that I didn't even want to go too .. and I was super homesick for Brooklyn anyway.. I started sobbing and slamming clothes down on the bed and soon they were flying all over the room and even at Stephen when he came in to see what all the fuss was about..I am pretty certain it took me more than 5 minutes to calm down but when I did we laughed about it as well... still.. at least you didn't have to clean up an entire maternity wardrobe after you got your laugh :) HUGS!!!

The Taylor Three said...

You deserve the 5 minutes to have a meltdown! It is a tough road those 40 weeks and as Jess said.....yes, things are crazy and hard, but would I trade it for anything...no way. Your little girl will be the light of your life even when you think there is no way you can function if you do not get more sleep. And there are WAY more great times then there are hard trying times. You look great, you will be a great mom, you have a great husband who will be there for his little girl and his wife no matter what. You are going to have an even more wonderful life in the next few weeks then you ever thought possible.

AustenCarr said...

you absolutely MUST be the cutes pregnant woman I have ever seen. ANd I'm not just saying that b/c you had a meltdown :)