Friday, July 24, 2009

Somewhere Else

I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's stories from Virginia lately. And what a dreamer I've become because of them! Both "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and "Prodigal Summer" are set on farms in small towns in the Shenandoah. Kingsolver is a biologist as well as an author, and her love of nature comes through loud and clear in both pieces. They have both left me longing for a little piece of land, somewhere around Charlottesville, where Michael and I can grow our own food and live a quieter life...

We would be bored in two minutes, and I know that, but it's fun to dream. From "Prodigal Summer":
"In all her troubles she had never yet stopped to consider her new position: landholder. Not just a mortage holder, not just burdened, but also blessed with a piece of the world's trust."


No comments: