Tuesday, July 14, 2009

One Thing

A girlfriend and colleague of mine recently spent four days at a yoga retreat center. She reported wonderful things, despite the fringe folks who do nothing but eat raw food and meditate all day every day.

She said the best lesson, or reminder I guess, happened when a teacher challenged her with, "What if we really only did one thing at a time?"

I've been realizing that it one reason I love my quiet hour in the morning. I might be reading or checking email, or (a behavior Michael likes to mock me for) just staring out the window. But that's it. No fancy business. I'm focused inwardly, giving myself time and space to wake up and enjoy some peace. Once the day gets started, multitasking abounds! At work I'm thinking about responsibilities at home; at home I'm thinking of my never ending to do list. When watching TV, Michael and I are both likely to be playing on our phones or with our computers. But not now. From 650 to 8, I'm doing one thing at a time.

It's a nice way to live.

No comments: