Monday, July 27, 2009

A Feast


Tonight's dinner: baked chicken, corn on the cob, salad and beets. YUM. The only thing we didn't purchase from the market? Spices! Sadly, Michael was at the office tonight, so he missed the delicious meal - but the leftovers will be twice as good!

A couple of weeks ago, Michael and I went to see "Food, Inc." The movie reinforced messages learned in Nutrition Ecology, the most powerful course I took in graduate school. Taught by Joan Gussow, it changed my whole world view. Joan (and Toni) linked the ideas of chronic disease, climate change, globalization and culture with food in a way I had never heard before. Because of this class, Michael and I purchase almost all of our produce from the farmers market. We try to eat more seasonally. We eat at home and never drink bottled water. I don't say this to sound uppity, but to explain how our behaviors changed because of this one way to see the world.

Well, "Food, Inc." inspired yet another. Michael, a devout animal lover and meat eater, left the theater and said that we were no longer buying meat from the grocery store. Tonight I made our first chicken from the market. It was EXPENSIVE - twice what I usually pay at the store. But I sure felt better preparing it.

And that chicken was delicious!

UPDATE: And here is Sarah's dinner, and Aunt Jessie's dinner :)

1 comment:

SMS said...

We had roast chicken last night too!!!!! Looks SO yummy :)