Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Long Haul

I'm planning on running a half marathon for my 29th birthday! In preparation, I'll be spending the next few Saturday afternoons running progressively longer distances in Central Park. This week was 6 miles, next week 7, and up and up until I run the 13.1 miles of the half on my birthday.

I've been surprised over the past couple of weeks at how genuinely enjoyable these long runs have been. Unlike most of my other workouts, this one seems more relaxed. Without an instructor yelling at me, or my husband nearby to impress, I'm able to be a little less aggressive. As I run, I am calm, relaxed, and just enjoying the time outdoors in Central Park. It's been a wonderful addition to the weekend. Of course, we'll see what I say when I'm up to 11 and 12 miles...

Several years ago, on the eve of my very first running race, I spoke with a good friend who is an avid runner. She encouraged me to think of exercise as a way of praising God for giving us lungs that work, legs that move, muscles that power our bodies. It's hard to remember that in the midst of a challenging gym class. But it seems a natural observation while circling Central Park.

No comments: