Sunday, March 22, 2009

Active Recovery

Will 2009 be the fastest year on record? I hope so, because so far time has flown so quickly it's hard to remember that I want to enjoy this. I can't believe we're already at the tail end of March (!!!)...

About a minute after describing the pleasures I take in long-distance runs, my knee decided it might not be interested in running a half-marathon after all. Last weekend I had to stop 3.5-miles in, cutting my run in half, because the pain in my left knee was just too much.

So this past week has been about an active recovery. I have taken a week off of the gym, in an effort to give my IT band some time to heal and relax. And instead of logging hours at the gym, I spent time with family and friends. My cousin-in-law came to town for a delicious Thai dinner; my colleagues from Mt. Sinai filled me with good news (one is pregnant) and an odd pineapple & tequila concoction; and some friends from Brooklyn spent an evening with Michael and I in a basement bar in the West Village. The steady stream of company didn't allow for much rest, but it felt emotionally restorative somehow.

This afternoon I went for a lovely, leisurely walk down by the water:




The active recovery continues...

No comments: