Sunday, May 17, 2009

On My Mind

May has not been a great month for the Dunn household. Michael and I have both been struggling with work, trying to find some sort of balance between our personal and professional lives. Some thoughts I've been thinking about through this ordeal:

1. I seem to either be on top of everything - going to the gym 5 times a week, reading for pleasure, working hard, cooking dinners at home, blogging - or not really achieving any of those things. The past two weeks, we've had few dinners at home, I've been more sporadic about the gym, have barely posted here, and have struggled to stay focused at work. Strange how these desired behaviors seem to reinforce themselves for me. Hmmm...

2. This amazing, personal and painful article in the Times this weekend is absolutely worth the read. In it, an economics reporter for the Times discusses how he and his new wife fell into massive credit card debt. It left me thinking quite a bit about what we can easily feel entitled to as members of the educated class. I think my generation, especially those of us who grew up in the upper middle class, assume that we can afford summer vacations, Starbucks coffees, clothes from J. Crew or the Gap. We think that because we're educated, we can afford anything our parents have. I include myself in this because I fight to remind myself that just because Michael and I have higher degrees, that doesn't mean we can afford everything. Anyway, I found this article very thought-provoking.

3. This reporting is utterly terrifying.

4. Babies, and in particular John and Anna's lovely newborn, Naomi, are so beautiful!

1 comment:

SMS said...

Wow, L. I just read the credit piece.. terrifying. Makes me feel incredibly sad and sick all at once.