Friday, May 22, 2009

Mental Health

Today I took a mental health day. Initially, I was hesitant to do it. Michael has been working so much harder than I and he couldn't join me. And work has been really stress-free this week. But I decided to go for it anyway, after some support from a colleague and seeing the outstanding weather forecast. And I must say, I'm so glad I did!

My day has been filled with gardening. This morning, after sending Michael off to work, dropping off laundry and dry cleaning and doing a couple other odd chores, I set off for the farmers market. My goal was solely flowers and herbs - and I think I went a little overboard...

I planted some herbs for our fire escape - parsley, rosemary, dill, basil and mint - as well as some flowers. The herbs smell wonderful!


Then, convinced by my friend Melissa that I could do it, I picked up some tomato plants!! I thought I would give it a try - what's the worst that could happen, right? So I purchased 4 different types and, after encouragement from neighbors, put them up on our rooftop. We will see how it goes!


This is the fourth year I have planted our "garden" over Memorial Day weekend. The first time Mom was here to guide me, and each year since I've been expanding little by little. I take my planters outside and dig and fill on the front steps of our building. With each passing year the experience has become more and more communal. Several neighbors that we know stopped by and told me how beautiful everything looked. A couple of German tourists meandering the Village commented on the herbs. And all of these little interactions helped me remember how amazing this experience is. While I think both Michael and I are getting ready to live in a slightly bigger apartment (one, perhaps, with a door or two), I know we will always romanticize our time here. I love this apartment, and this life we've built. I hope that our next place will become what this is to us - a community and a home.

And one more picture from the water:

1 comment:

Lee Lacy said...

I love your garden. Lee