Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cheering Section

I've been feeling so incredibly useless the past few days. There is so much work to be done to help recover from Sandy, and I just can't do any of it. Yesterday a bunch of volunteers spent the day cleaning the parks, and even that task - in my neighborhood! in our park! - felt too daunting given the size of my belly.

So today, when Alice and I took a walk in Central Park and happened upon a bunch of runners just circling the Park to reach 26.3 miles, we stopped and started to cheer. We spent 90 minutes supporting the runners who were clearly achieving a dream. We watched other New Yorkers offering Gatorade and water and bananas and enthusiasm. It was inspiring and humbling. And though it wasn't the much more profound and important work of distributing food or blankets, it was something to celebrate what New York City is.

No comments: