Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Returns

Tonight, one of Michael's and my favorite TV shows returns: The Biggest Loser! No longer are Tuesdays just another day of the week. Oh no, my friends, Tuesday is Biggest Loser night! By association, it also becomes the day where Michael and I feel utter guilt if we miss the gym. So, armed and inspired by my date with Jillian and Bob, I made it to the gym today, for the first time in... well, too long.

And let me tell you, it felt SO GOOD to be back. As soon as I opened the door and started climbing the stairs, I couldn't hide my smile. I was very happy to spend 30 minutes on an elliptical.

Inspiration came from another place today. The Washington Post had a fabulous article written by a woman who spent her life battling debilitating depression. She found release not through drugs or therapy, but through running. Her story really resonated with me. Clinical depression has been a serious struggle for many people in my family. For me, the best remedy has always been a consistent, challenging workout regimen. This story reminded me why I commit myself to working out. The article is here and the lovely picture that went along with it is here:

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I read that article yesterday and was reminded that exercise has helped get me through the most stressful times in my life.