Monday, August 31, 2009

Breathing

This past week, Michael and I spent some time breathing. We enjoyed our first vacation since visiting Michael's grandparents in Florida in February, and boy did we need it!

Michael and I rented a condo in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware with my mom and brother. We spent the week visiting, relaxing, reading, lying on the beach, playing put-put, and eating. Michael's parents and my godmother joined us for a couple of days in the beginning of the week, which just made a great week even better.

The whole week was such a treasure. It has been over a year since I've seen my mom - far too long. And this week we were able to catch up in a very relaxed way. It was nice to know that we didn't have to squeeze everything into a 45-minute lunch, but that we had a whole week to spend together. Henry, Mom and I are morning people (much to Michael's dismay), so we were often awake and sitting around a kitchen table together at 8 every morning. We enjoyed leisurely meals and... well, leisurely everything.



Michael and I would take walks around Rehoboth in the early evenings, often ending up at Royale Treat for an ice cream sundae. We would walk around in this small but energetic town, listening to the sounds of summer - cicadas, crickets, bullfrogs - and dream about leaving New York City for something smaller, quieter, with a slower pace. I am so grateful to have had the time with my husband, away from the hubbub of everyday life.

The View from our Deck

No comments: