Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Top 10s: Photos

It's cliche, I know, but the period between Thanksgiving and New Years is a serious time of reflection for me.

This past year has been particularly dramatic, physically, emotionally, in my personal life and in my career, with almost all aspects of my life going through significant change. Michael and I returned to life as professions, departing the comforts of graduate school. Between the two of us, we've had four jobs in twelve months. We visited family and friends all over the world, from my mom in Armenia to my sister-in-law in South Carolina. I made new friends, fought for old ones, and did my best to do right by those I love. I worked hard to be a good wife, a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend - succeeding sometimes and failing others. Michael and I celebrated the marriages of our dear friends and the births of a host of beautiful children.

What's remarkable to me is that change as dramatic as this year has been the reality for the past several. For the last six Christmases, I've had a lot to reflect upon! And when I think about our future, about Michael and I as parents, I think about how our lives will no longer be marked by our own challenges and triumphs, but by those of our children (whenever they arrive)...

In any event, all of this reflection lead me to sorting through my pictures from 2008, to identify the highlights of the year. Here we go:

10. New York, NY. Obama! What joy!


9. Armenia! This picture is from a fabulous night with my mom, brother and husband. It isn't the most flattering shot for any of us, but it represents much of that trip - smiles, snow, cold, and walking uphill.


8. In Maryland at Mona & Ashesh's wedding. Laura & Michael, having fun and laughing together. Laura officiated the wedding, Michael and I cheered it by dancing all night. Very fun!


7. Naples, Florida. Enjoying sunshine and seafood in the middle of winter with Michael's lovely grandparents.


6. Angkor Wat, Cambodia. My husband in his adventure pants, Cambodian sun-protecting scarf, climbing, adventuring and getting tan.


5. Koh Tao, Thailand. Seeing Michael in his element, passionate about writing.


4. Koh Tao, Thailand. I've already talked about this night, but it was magical. I thought about how wonderful it is to be in love, to feel the sun, to share a life with someone. I thought about the children we might have some day, how I hoped that they would be lucky enough to know the joy I felt at that precise moment, how life can be perfect sometimes.


3. New York, NY. Celebrating Michael's birthday with fabulous friends, good drinks and some serious karaoke. Two people well matched for one another.


2. Sapa, Vietnam. Hot, sweaty and climbing a mountain.


1. New York, NY. Happy and home after the adventure of a lifetime. Tan, happy, my husband nice a scruffy. Happy to be together, happy to be by the water on a perfectly sunny, warm day in New York City. A feeling I won't soon forget.

No comments: