Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Morning Trauma

It's only 9:37 and the following things have happened today:

* Our alarm went off at 6:15 so that we could attend a weight training class (the one that used to be lead by our favorite, Arnold, but has been taken over by a sub-par instructor - last week we left the class having not broken a sweat). Turns out, Michael had already been lying awake for at least an hour! His back has been hurting him off and on for the past month, and last night it was definitely on. We decided to skip the gym. I pulled out the heating blanket, put him on top of it, and attempted to get another hour of sleep.

* For the next hour, I dozed off and on, waking every five or ten minutes to check on Michael. When he was asleep, I would close my eyes restfully. When he was awake, I would close my eyes guiltily.

* I got out of bed at 7:15, brewed my first cup of tea, and read my book for a solid 30 minutes. The highlight of the day so far.

* I got into the bathroom at 8 to learn that there was no hot water. So no shower. No heat. No fun.

Now I'm at work, feeling gross and not yet awake. I took a shower last night at 9, so I shouldn't feel so bad. But a morning shower is as crucial to a good day as a cup of tea... It's going to be a rough one, folks.

On the plus side, today is my father-in-law's birthday! Happy birthday, Marty!

No comments: